Niagara Falls Winter Festival of Lights 2019
The 37th annual Ontario Power Generation Winter Festival of Lights is just around the corner and this year is going to be more spectacular than ever!! We are so proud of how far the Festival has some over the years, winning multiple awards in the past month:
- Gold Pinnacle Award - Best New Event (Cascades of Fire International Fireworks Competition)
- Silver Pinnacle Award - Best Event Video Promotion (Winter Festival of Lights)
- Silver Pinnacle Award - Best Event Promotional Photograph (Winter Festival of Lights)
- Bronze Pinnacle Award - Best Event Website (Winter Festival of Lights)
- Also recognized by the American Bus Association, in its list of Best of the Best Festivals for 2019
- The OPG Winter Festival of Lights also earned the most votes for the third year in a row in the Ontario Choice Awards Festival and Events Category
The festivities start November 16th and run until January 12th, 2020.
Make the Niagara Falls Winter Festival of Lights your Winter Tradition. Here's what is happening, so mark your calendars:
The Opening Ceremonies are on November 16th in Queen Victoria Park from 3pm to 8pm.
- Featuring live entertainment, food trucks, interactive displays and special guests
- Starting at 7:30pm, the official flip the switch ceremony will begin followed by a visit from Santa himself
- Get your cameras ready because at 8:00pm there will be a spectacular seven-minute long fireworks show that will light up the sky
As always, you can expect 3 millions twinkling lights over an 8km route (some old favourites and some new). Impulse, Passage and Loop interactive displays will be back by popular demand.
NEW THIS YEAR!
The OPG Winter Festival of Lights in partnership with Amsterdam's Light Art Collection for the second year will feature seven unique Light Art displays representing artists from around the globe
- Absorbed by Light – designed by the British Gali May Lucas and executed by Berlin-based sculptor Karoline Hinz
- C/C: – created by artist, Angela Chong from Singapore
- Light a Wish - designed by Vikas Patil & Santhosh Gujar from Israel
- Run Beyond – created by impressionist, Angelo Bonello from Italy
- Talking Heads – created by Viktor Vicsek from Hungary
- Bridge of Rainbow - created by Gilbert Moity from France
- Strangers in the Light - designed by Victor Engbers & Ins Smits from The Netherlands (we are so excited ...this display is right in front of our hotel)
Also new this year is the new augmented reality mobile application, the Great Treasure Hunt! This free app is an interactive and fun way to experience the Niagara Falls Winter Festival of Lights. You can download the app on Google Play or the Apple App Store.
The Great Treasure Hunt will include directions that will guide visitors via GPS to each specific area where treasures can be found. When visitors arrive at a treasure location, they will hold up their phone and the treasure will appear in Augmented Reality through their phone screen! Take a photo of the Virtual Treasure and share it on social media to check the treasure off your list.
This app is not only fun, but will also give participants an opportunity to win prizes in weekly draws that are announced on the Festival’s social media page and one person will win the Great Treasure Hunt Grand Prize!
This Festival will include twenty-five awe-inspiring firework shows. Every Friday night starting at 9pm during the Winter Festival of Lights get ready to enjoy a spectacular Fireworks display over the Falls. Bonus shows will be held nightly during Christmas break from December 20th to January 5th
This year ring in the New Year in Niagara Falls with your friends and family! New Year's Eve in Niagara Falls will definitely be a night to remember with a free concert featuring Juno-award winning, Walk off the Earth and the legendary Bryan Adams starting at 8pm in Queen Victoria Park!
After all this excitement, you are going to need a place to rest your head. Check out our Niagara Falls Packages and find the one that best suits you! From grown-up fun to family fun, there's a package for everyone!